Egypt’s fact-finding commission reports reveals former political, security officials involved in killing protesters

Egypt court orders dissolution of former ruling party

Egypt’s foreign minister denies reports about appointment of ambassador to Iran

Israel’s ambassador to Egypt leaves Cairo for consultations with government

British military experts to advise Libyan opposition

Europe, U.S. say Gaddafi must go

Egypt's fact-finding committee's report held Mubarak ultimately responsible for killing the protestors during Jan. 25 uprising to force the former regime to step down, local news website Al Shorouk reported.

Fact-finding committee, formed in Ahmed Shafiq's cabinet and included panel of judges, submitted its final report to the ministry of justice, saying 846 civilians were killed and more than 6,400 people were injuries during the 18 days massive nation- wide demonstrations.

Omar Marawan, the committee's secretary general, said at a press conference after the release of the report that 26 policemen were killed, 149 prisoners died and 263 were injured during the unrest.

The report said that the security forces used excessive force and live ammunition at the peaceful anti-Mubarak protestors and vehicles ran over civilians and killed them intentionally.

The report added that snipers from a counter-terrorism unit belonging to the dismantled state security apparatus were placed over the buildings roofs to shoot the people.

"The shooting lasted for several days and Mubarak didn't order to stop using live ammunition, that confirms his involvement in responsibility," Marawan said.

The report said the bullets were targeted the head and the chest, adding that hospitals reported huge number of eye injuries from gunshots.

Marawan said "random shots killed many civilians who were witnessing the demonstrations from their houses' windows".

Mubarak was detained on April 13 for 15 days in custody on accusations for using violence against the protestors during the uprising and ex-regime Interior Minister el-Adly is on trial for the shootings.

The report revealed that those who were involved in what so- called "camel battle" that caused horror among the lines of protestors on Feb. 2 were from the police officers in civilian uniform and other members of the dissolved National Democratic Party (NDP).

A final report from the high administrative court decided last week to dissolve the NDP that was headed by the former president for 30 years.

Mubarak's sons Alaa and Gamal have been detained over misusing public funds for their own interests and receiving commissions for facilitating illegal deals of foreign partnerships.

Mubarak was forced to step down in Feb. 11 and moved with his family to the Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh. He was hospitalized in Sharm el-Sheikh International hospital after suffering from heart problems and was questioned there by the general prosecution till he is transferred to military hospital.

In a major victory for Egypt's pro-democracy movement, a court has ordered the dissolution of the former ruling National Democratic Party, which had held a firm grip over power for over three decades under the leadership of ousted president Hosni Mubarak.

The Higher Administrative Court also ordered that all property and assets of the former ruling party be confiscated and handed over to the government.

The verdict met a major demand of pro-democracy activists in the country who had taken to streets in January this year to demand an end to the autocratic rule of Mubarak.

The latest victory for the Egyptian activists came days after Mubarak and his sons were put under detention for a probe into allegations of corruption and killing of protesters.

Egypt said Iran had not appointed an ambassador to Cairo, denying a news report that the two countries had restored diplomatic relations after over 30 years.

The website of Iran's Press TV reported that Tehran had appointed an envoy to Cairo, naming him as Ali Akbar Sibuyeh, a career diplomat who is the son of a senior cleric.

Meanwhile, Israel's ambassador to Cairo has reportedly left Egypt days after over a million Egyptian protesters called for his expulsion and an end to the plight of the Palestinians.

Yitzhak Levanon would be in Tel Aviv for the next couple of days, reports said, giving no details about the reason behind the envoy's departure.

The reported departure comes days after massive crowds of demonstrators gathered in Cairo's Liberation Square on April 8, urging the country to cease its cooperation with the crippling Israeli siege on the Gaza Strip, in place since mid-June 2007.

In a separate demonstration, Egyptian protesters rallied outside the Israeli Embassy in the capital, Cairo, where they set fire to the Israeli flag.

On both occasions the demonstrators called on Cairo to issue Levanon the boot order.

The Egyptians launched a revolution against the pro-Israeli regime in January, which eventually put an end to the 30-year-long rule of President Hosni Mubarak.

During the protests, Tel Aviv allowed Cairo to deploy Egyptian troops to the Sinai Peninsula, despite the area only being open to Egypt's police forces in line with a bilateral peace accord.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has warned the new Egyptian government could become hostile towards Tel Aviv, saying he is “especially concerned” over remarks made by Egyptian Foreign Minister Nabil al-Arabi.

The Egyptian statesman, along with other senior officials, has reportedly called Israel Egypt's "enemy."

Commenting on the possibility of economic ties with Tel Aviv, Egypt's Finance Minister Samir Radwan has also stressed that Cairo does not need investments from "the enemy."

Meanwhile, Colonel Muammar Gaddafi's foreign minister has claimed that deploying British military advisors to help rebel fighters in Libya will harm chances of a peace deal.

Abdul Ati al Obeidi described the overseas military presence as "a step backwards" and proposed a ceasefire to allow civilians in the war-torn North African nation to discuss what they wanted.

His comments came after Foreign Secretary William Hague announced that a group of British Army officers will be deployed to the opposition stronghold of Benghazi in a mentoring role to help leaders coordinating attacks on the dictator's army.

It is understood that around 10 experienced officers will join a British team already in Libya's second city working with the opposition National Transitional Council (NTC).

Hague said the Army officers would help prevent attacks on civilians, in line with the United Nations Security Council resolution authorizing military action against Col Gaddafi's forces.

However, the officers will not be involved in training or arming the opposition's fighting forces and have nothing to do with the planning or execution of NTC military operations, Hague said.

Italy has announced it will also be sending 10 military advisors to Libya and the French are understood to be doing so too.

Meanwhile, fierce fighting continued in Libya's third largest city, Misrata, between rebels and pro-Gaddafi forces.

Rebels in the city have been under siege for over a month with hundreds killed in the fighting.

Colonel Gaddafi's army is using snipers and ground rocket attacks from outside the city walls to try and break the rebels hold on the city, Lt Gen Charles Bouchard, the head of Nato's forces in the region, has said.

Seifel-Islam, one of Colonel Gaddafi's sons, vowed that the Libyan government would "not seek revenge" against the rebel forces once they had beaten them.

But in a thinly veiled threat to the anti-Gaddafi rebels he continued: "The use of weapons and force will only be met by force and those who cross the four red lines, set in 2007 (Gaddafi, Islam, state security and national unity) will have to bear the consequences."

The leaders of the US, the UK and France have said in a joint letter that there can be no peace in Libya while Muammar Gaddafi stays in power.

Barack Obama, David Cameron and Nicolas Sarkozy say Nato must maintain military operations to protect civilians and maintain pressure on Col Gaddafi.

To allow him to remain in power would "betray" the Libyan people, they write.

Signs of division remain within Nato, which is struggling to find additional combat aircraft for its strikes.

UK Foreign Secretary William Hague met his US counterpart Hillary Clinton at a Nato summit, before telling the BBC he was "hopeful" more aircraft could eventually be found.

Only a few of Nato's 28 members - including France, the UK, Canada, Belgium, Norway and Denmark - are conducting air strikes.

Italy is thought to have been identified as a key potential contributor.

In Libya there were unconfirmed reports of rocket strikes by pro-Gaddafi forces on the western rebel-held city of Misrata.

Rebels in Misrata have been holding out against attacks for two months, but Hague stressed that Nato needed to act swiftly to prevent a "massacre" in the city.

The BBC's Orla Guerin, who entered Misrata, said staff at a hospital there were battling to treat civilians injured by mortars and rocket fire.