Oslo bloodbath accused expresses open animosity against Islam in court, says was determined to “change society”

Minute’s silence observed in mourning over massacre victims as flags flown at half-mast

Europe studying testimony revealing mass killer’s hatred

Anders Behring Breivik, who killed at least 93 people in a bomb attack and shooting rampage in Norway, arrived at an Oslo courtroom for a closed custody hearing on Monday to jeers from an angry crowd.

"Get out, get out!" shouted Alexander Roeine, 24, banging on the car he believed had brought Breivik to Oslo District Court.

"Everyone here wants him dead," he said, adding that he knew one of the dead and three survivors of Friday's attacks.

According to his lawyer, Breivik had wanted to explain why he perpetrated modern-day Norway's worst peace-time massacre, but a judge ruled that the hearing would be a closed session.

"We want to see him really hurt for what he did," said Zezo Hasab, 32, among a crowd who gave Breivik a furious reception.

Norway's first glimpse of the killer was a shaky, long-range television picture of a man with close-cropped blond hair and a red top, as he got into a police jeep after the hearing.

He appeared calm and did not try to communicate with journalists standing across the road from an underground garage where he was brought down from the courtroom.

He sat unmovingly in the back seat, with a policeman beside him, his head tilted slightly back, before being whisked away.

Prosecutors wanted Breivik detained for an initial eight weeks -- normally this is in solitary confinement with no access to news, letters or visitors, except a lawyer. His custody can be extended before his trial on terrorism charges.

The judge was due to announce his decision later on Monday. Norwegians held a minute's silence for the victims of the self-confessed killer with an anti-immigration agenda.

"In remembrance of the victims ... I declare one minute's national silence," Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg said on the steps of Oslo University, flanked by Norway's king and queen.

The silence stretched to five minutes as thousands more stood around a carpet of flowers outside nearby Oslo cathedral. Only squawking seagulls and a barking dog broke the silence.

Cars stopped in the streets and their drivers got out and stood motionless as traffic lights changed from red to green.

"This is a tragic event to see all these young people dying due to one man's craziness. It is important to have this minute of silence so that all the victims and the parents of the families know that people are thinking about them," said mechanic Sven-Erik Fredheim, 36, shortly before the silence.

Breivik planted a bomb on Friday outside Stoltenberg's Oslo office which killed seven, then drove to the island of Utoeya and shot dead 86 at a youth camp of the ruling Labor Party.

The 32-year-old declared in a rambling 1,500-page manifesto posted online shortly before the massacre that he was on a self-appointed mission to save Europe from what he saw as the threats of Islam, immigration and multi-culturalism.

"He has been politically active and found out himself that he did not succeed with usual political tools and so resorted to violence," Lippestad told TV2 news.

The judge's decision to close the hearing to the public followed an outcry from Norwegians enraged at the possibility that Breivik would be allowed a public platform for his views.

A Facebook group called "Boycott Anders Behring Breivik" carried the message: "He has planned this stage, to get propaganda. Do NOT let him get that freedom...Boycott all media describing the Norwegian terrorist and his beliefs."

Police have said a trial could be a year away. The maximum jail term in Norway is 21 years, although that can be extended if there is a risk of repeat offences.

"In theory he can be in jail for the rest of his life," said Staale Eskeland, professor of criminal law at the University of Oslo.

Breivik had asked to wear a uniform in court, but Lippestad, his lawyer, said he did not know what type. The killer was dressed as a policeman during his shooting spree.

Breivik has not served in the armed forces but in some of the pictures he posted on the Internet before his killing spree he was dressed in a military-style outfit.

That he surrendered to police when finally confronted on the tiny island of Utoeya after his shooting spree underlines his desire to secure a public platform.

Breivik wrote in his manifesto, posted hours before his attacks, that if he survived his assault and was arrested, this would "mark the initiation of the propaganda phase".

Norwegian newspapers focused on the victims as shock turns to mourning, giving chilling new accounts of the island massacre and focusing on acts of bravery which saved lives.

The main broadsheet Aftenposten led with "Sorrow unites Norway" and printed a picture of a central Oslo square filled with flowers and lit candles in remembrance of the dead.

Daily Dagsavisen asked "Why didn't you come earlier?" citing screams by youth as police arrived on Utoeya island on Friday -- an hour after they were notified of the shooting.

Police believe Breivik acted alone after losing faith in mainstream parties, even those that have gained popularity and parliamentary seats on anti-immigration policies in otherwise liberal, tolerant European nations, including affluent Norway.

The attack was likely to tone down the immigration debate ahead of September local elections, analysts said, as parties try to distance themselves from Breivik's beliefs and reinforce Norwegians' self-image as an open, peaceful people.

Norway's immigrant numbers nearly tripled between 1995 and 2010 to almost half a million. The sense that many were drawn by Norway's generous welfare handouts helped spur the growth of the Progress Party which became Norway's second biggest in parliament after the 2009 election on a largely anti-immigration platform.

Breivik was once a member of the party, but left complaining it was too politically correct. It was then he began scheming to "resist", burying ammunition more than a year ago, weight-lifting, storing up credit cards and researching bomb-making while playing online war games.

After three months of laboriously pounding and mixing fertilizer, aspirin and other chemicals on a remote farm, Breivik drove a hire car packed with the results to the center of Oslo on Friday, triggering the device outside government offices, killing seven and shattering thousands of windows.

He then drove to Utoeya, 45 km (28 miles) away. Dressed as a policeman, he calmly shot down Labor Party youngsters at a summer camp. His terrified victims tried to hide under beds or in the woods. Some leapt into the lake to escape.

"This is going to be an all-or-nothing scenario," Breivik wrote in his English-language online journal on the morning of the attack. "First coming costume party this autumn, dress up as a police officer. Arrive with insignias:-) Will be awesome as people will be very astonished:-)."

A surgeon at a hospital that treated 35 of the wounded said Breivik may have used "dum-dum" bullets for maximum damage.

"These bullets don't explode inside the body but fragment into pieces more quickly than other bullets," Colin Poole, chief surgeon of the Ringerike district hospital, told Reuters.

While Breivik was stalking his prey on Utoeya, it took police a full hour to get a team of elite forces to the island after one boat, overloaded with officers and equipment, was forced to stop when it began to take on water.

Norwegian television managed to charter a helicopter and filmed the killer before the police showed up. When the armed team did arrive, Breivik gave himself up without a fight.